Give! is hiring: Executive Director Position
Give! Campaign Employment Opportunity - Executive Director
Give! is currently seeking an Executive Director to work with the board of directors to establish and execute major goals and objectives for the Give! Campaign in fun and innovative ways.
Since its inception in 2009, Give! has enabled 223 local nonprofits to raise more than $13 million through more than 94,654 donations while helping these organizations access matching grants, media exposure and capacity-building training from local and regional experts.
As the nonprofit civic arm of the Colorado Publishing House, Give! is a year-end philanthropic initiative that sparks philanthropy across generations and lifts our neighbors through the invaluable work of local nonprofits, which are the backbone of our thriving and diverse community.
Please see the job description below.
To apply, please submit the following to [email protected]:
- cover letter
- three professional references
Deadline: Position open until filled.
Executive Director - Job Description
Summary of primary job purpose
Implements strategies and tactics to achieve campaign goals. Provides leadership, direction and guidance of the Give! campaign's activities. Analyzes and evaluates the effectiveness of all campaign operations. Develops and maintains organizational structure and effective personnel and vendors. Coordinates major activities. Represents the Give! campaign to regulatory bodies, other agencies, community and civic organizations, donors, funders and supporters, and the general public.
The Give! Executive Director is responsible for the successful leadership and management of the campaign according to the strategic direction set by the Board of Directors.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities*
Give! Executive Director performs all of the following:
- Participate with the Board of Directors in developing a vision and strategic plan to guide the Give! campaign
- Identify, assess, and inform the Board of Directors of internal and external issues that affect the Give! campaign
- Act as a professional advisor to the Board of Directors on all aspects of the campaign’s activities with the aid of specific reports of the campaign’s progress and general knowledge of current best practices in the nonprofit sector
- Foster effective teamwork between the Board and the Executive Director and between the Give! Campaign staff and vendors, reward partners, matching, challenge and sponsoring donors, as well as other key Give! allies
- In addition to the Chair of the Board, act as a spokesperson for the organization
- Conduct official correspondence on behalf of the Board as appropriate and jointly with the Board when appropriate
- Represent the organization at community activities to enhance the campaigns community profile
- Act as coach/mentor/cheerleader for participating nonprofits of varying levels of sophistication
Operational planning and management
- Develop an operational plan which incorporates fundraising goals and objectives that work towards the strategic direction of the campaign
- Ensure that the operation of the organization meets the expectations of its participants, board, funders and sponsors
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the campaign
- Draft policies for the approval of the Board and prepare procedures to implement the organizational policies; review existing participation and application policies on an annual basis and recommend changes to the Board as appropriate
- Ensure that nonprofit, donor and campaign files are secure and up-to-date and privacy/confidentiality is maintained
- Develop sustainable plan for donor/sponsor/funder database implementation and maintenance
- Provide support to the Board by preparing meeting agenda and supporting materials
Program planning and management
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of the campaign’s participants, website, media partners, sponsors, partners and funders
- Ensure that operations and innovations offered by the campaign contribute to the Give! mission and reflect the priorities of the Board
- Monitor the day-to-day quality of the campaign and benchmark sister campaigns of Give! to maintain or improve quality
Human resources planning and management
- Determine staffing requirements for campaign management and program delivery
- Recruit, interview and select vendors that have the right technical and personal abilities to help further the campaigns mission
- Monitor and document the performance of vendors on an on-going basis, conduct annual performance reviews, amend and terminate contracts as necessary while maintaining high level of commitment to best HR practices
Financial planning and management
- Work with the Board to prepare a comprehensive annual budget
- Work with the Board to secure adequate funding for the operation of the organization
- Research funding sources, oversee the development of fund raising plans and write funding proposals to raise money for matching and challenge competitions as well as for on going operational funds
- Participate in fundraising activities as appropriate
- Approve expenditures within the authority delegated by the Board
- Ensure that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed
- Administer the funds of the campaign according to the approved budget and monitor the monthly cash flow of the organization
- Provide the Board with comprehensive, regular reports on the revenues and expenditures of the organization
- Ensure that the organization complies with all state and federal legislation covering taxation and IRS regulations regarding donations and rewards.
- Communicate with stakeholders (special committee members, media partners, sponsors) to keep them informed of the work of the campaign and to identify changes in the community served by the campaign
- Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders, media, and other organizations to help achieve the goals of the campaign
- Maintain positive high-level donor and sponsor relationships as necessary
- 3 or more years of management/leadership/high-level public relations experience in a nonprofit organization
- University degree in a related field or 5 years of relevant professional experience
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Knowledge of leadership and management principles as they relate to non-profit organizations
- Knowledge of current community challenges and opportunities relating to the mission of the Give! Campaign
- Knowledge of financial management and fundraising
- Knowledge of donor care
- Knowledge of project management
- Knowledge of PR and Media Relations
- Knowledge of basic marketing and copy editing
Proficiency in the use of computers for:
- GSuite (particularly Google for Nonprofits, Calendar, Gmail, Docs, Forms, Sheets and ScriptEditor)
- Excel, Microsoft Word and Power Point
- Social Media applications: Twitter, Facebook , Instagram and Hootsuite
The Executive Director should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
- Adaptability: Demonstrate a willingness to be flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency.
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the campaign.
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the campaign.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough, detail-oriented and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the campaign and to create new opportunities.
- Focus on campaign needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external participants to meet or exceed their expectations within the campaign parameters.
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the campaign forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations to the board and/or resolve the problem.
- Think Strategically: Assesses options and actions based on trends and conditions in the community, and the vision and values of the campaign.
- Remain cool under pressure: Assist in providing specific and empathetic donor- and nonprofit-care in high-stress, fast-paced situations. Practice proactive (rather than reactive) approaches to split-second, creative problem-solving.